Why your Child SHOULD NOT Charge Phones & Tablets on their Bed

Harry, Heidi and Jack all have their own electronic devices and I allow them to watch movies or play Minecraft (offline) in their bedroom. Thankfully, they don't have chargers in their bedroom and I have a strict rule where they bring their devices downstairs at 8:30pm before going to sleep. Take a look at this video from Electrical Safety First which highlights just what can happen if your child charges their phone/tablet on their bed (scary stuff):-

Electrical Safety First are a UK Registered Charity urging parents and carers to listen to the following important advice:-
  • Don't let children/teens leave their phones on their bed
  • Don't use a cheap/unbranded phone charger
  • Don't sleep with phones under pillows
There could be devastating consequences

The charity have also put together this handy list of Do's and Don'ts for charging safely in children/teen bedrooms:

  • DO make sure laptops, phones and tablets are charged on a hard surface such as a table or desk
  • DON'T charge phones or tablets on your bed 
  • AVOID charging devices unattended overnight
  • DO make sure children keep their bedrooms tidy and dust free. Clothing over electronic devices and games consoles can cause them to overheat and catch fire
  • DO get into the habit of the whole family turning off electronic devices (including TVs and gaming consoles) before bed
  • DO NOT use fake or unbranded phone chargers
  • DO check plug sockets regularly for signs of damage and scorching
  • DO NOT overload plug sockets (you can check here)
  • DO NOT put drinks near electronic appliances
  • ENSURE children are fully dry after showering/bathing before going near electronic appliances
  • DO chat to your children about electronic safety and make sure they are aware of the risks and what to do in an emergency

Please take this weekend to check your homes and think about how your family charge their devices.

Collaborative Post


  1. Valuable lessons to be learned here. As kids become more tech savvy, we need to become more aware than ever before. Thanks for pointers.

  2. I think this is really good and important information. I've never thought about it before. My son is too young at the moment anyway but this is something for me to mentally make note of for sure.

  3. So much good information! Never even thought about a lot of this X

  4. Oh my goodness, this is TERRIFYING!! That really makes me question whether or not we should charge by the beds :(

  5. I am one of those bad people who charges phones and things overnight and I know I shouldnt x

  6. This is so scary, I have fake chargers as well. I don't charge them in bed but still think I should replace them x

  7. It really is amazing hot hot electrical devices can get! I remember my old laptop used to burn my knees if I left it on my lap for too long, luckily my new one doesn't let itself get too hot

  8. OMG this is so horrendous. The idea of this happening is so frightening. I'll be sure to take better care with my electronics xxx

  9. This is such an eye opening post! Thanks for sharing this.

  10. Wow you got valuable tips here. I was guilty of charging my phone underneath my pillow but not anymore.

  11. OMG that is scary, thanks for sharing, I will take note ad not allow mine to charge theirs on their beds.

  12. Oh wow! This is so scary!! I'm sending my niece this link.

  13. Goodness me this is scary. Luckily my children don't have any chargers in their rooms, who knew it could be so dangerous!

  14. Very informative post, very sad and scary though! Thanks for sharing!

  15. I have to hold my hands up and say I am guilty of this sometimes. Rather than putting my phone back on my bedside table I put it under my pilow!!! I need to stop!

  16. It's awful that this happens. Great post for highlighting the dangers though.

    Daniella | Freshly Pressed Beauty

  17. This happened a couple years ago in my town where a child fell asleep with charging a device on their bed, had it covered up by a duvet and it overheated and thankfully everyone got out safely. Good awareness post!

  18. I always get paranoid with chargers! I used to make this mistake though when I was younger

  19. I used to do this year's ago until I felt how.hot my iPhone got! Such an important message

  20. OMG! What a terrifying matter. Now a days I saw that the kids of early 1-2 years highly addicted to mobile phone or iPad, any time it can be a dangerous thing for the kids.
    Parents should be careful about this, thanks for sharing such an informative post!



© North East Family Fun | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig