*This is a collaborative post
Summer is the perfect time to plan a family road trip. We love nothing better than jumping in the car and planning an adventure. I think we are pretty fortunate living in the North East as not only do we have lots of award winning attractions on our doorstep, but we are also well placed to explore a little further afield. Once you've filled the car up with petrol, checked your Summer tyres and packed your bag with sandwiches, sun cream and sun hats, you're good to go.
A Day Trip to Whitby
Whitby is a gorgeous little seaside town in North Yorkshire. It feels slightly more upmarket than it's sister seaside resort of Scarborough and you'll find the paths and winding streets packed with wine bars and bistros serving fresh seafood. There's lots for kids to do in Whitby too, whether this be visiting the Dracula Experience, climbing the steps to Whitby Abbey or buying a crabbing kit and joining the other children as they line the harbour with their nets. There's a beautiful beach with a small fun fair and donkey rides, lots of places to grab an ice cream and of course a visit to the world famous Magpie Cafe for fish and chips is a must.
|Children catching crabs at Whitby Harbour|
Whitby | Need to Know
- Drive time | 1 hour 34 minutes (73 miles)
- Parking | We normally park at Marina Black car park which is £8 for 24 hours. Postcode YO21 1YN
- Read More | Our Day Trip to Whitby
A Day Trip to Harrogate
Harrogate is a gorgeous market town in North Yorkshire and definitely worth a visit on a sunny day. We highly recommend Harrogate's Valley Gardens which has everything you could possibly need for a park from a fantastic adventure play area to an outdoor pool, skate park, pitch and putt, boating lake and more. I recommend Gianni's Pizza for lunch - kids eat free on a Saturday before 6pm and all day Sunday.
Harrogate | Need to Know
- Drive time | 1 hour 44 minutes (84 miles)
- Parking | Jubilee Car Park is £9.80 for 7 hours. Postcode HG1 1DJ
- Read More | An Afternoon at Valley Gardens Harrogate
A Day Trip to the Lake District
The lakes are always discounted as a day trip from the North East and I'm not sure why - with a drive time of less than 2 hours, it's a beautiful and relaxing countryside drive over the Pennines with some of the best views in the UK. The lakes are a lovely place if you just fancy a wander or walk and there are lots of country pubs where you can stop for a drink. I recommend a trip to the Lakes Distillery where you can take a family tour and learn all about the smugglers along the rivers. There are lots of National Trust properties to visit in the area (including Beatrix Potter's House), and there are lots of opportunities to enjoy watersports or take a boat trip. Don't forget to pick up a Grasmere gingerbread man!
Lake District | Need to Know
- Drive time | 1 hour 35 minutes (78 miles)
- Parking | There's a huge variety of paid/free parking that is well-signposted
- Read More | Our Day Trip to the Lakes
A Day Trip to Kielder
Kielder | Need to Know
- Drive time | 1 hour 13 minutes (47 miles)
- Parking | You just need to buy one ticket for £4.50 to park at any Kielder visitor centre throughout the day. Start with the visitor centre - Postcode NE48 1ER
- Read more | 6 Family Things to do at Kielder
A Day Trip to Carlisle
Carlisle | Need to Know
- Drive time | 1 hour 20 minutes (58 miles)
- Parking | Carlisle Castle Car park £2.50 all day. CA3 8UL
- Read more | Our Day Trip to Carlisle
A Day Trip to Scarborough
Scarborough is a place I've been visiting since I was a child and it's a somewhere I take my own children now. It's definitely one of our favourite seaside towns. It is extremely child-friendly with it's own outdoor water park, Peasholm park with boating lakes, squirrels and performances, a vintage water chute, outdoor amphitheatre, miniature train ride, Sealife centre, open top bus rides, it's own Castle, beautiful beaches with donkey rides available, beach huts for hire, amusement arcades and funfairs, speedboat rides, pirate boat trips, family theatre and more. There is honestly SO much to do and you'll never end up bored in Scarborough.
Scarborough | Need to Know
- Drive time | 2 hours (93 miles)
- Parking | We park near Peasholm Park (YO12 6AQ - £7 for 24 hours), explore the North Bay attractions and then catch an open top bus to the busier South Bay.
- Read more | North Bay Attractions
I am counting down the days to summer now. Let me know where you'd recommend for a day trip with kids.
Pin Me For Later