I would honestly recommend every parent tries this over the holidays. Our children absolutely loved being in charge and have been asking every day when we can do this again. I am confident they learned a few life skills too and budgeting for a family meal is not something they would normally learn in the classroom.
What did our 8 year old learn from being in charge of dinner?
- I was really surprised that Harry knew approximately how much we were paid and he could equate this to how much we spent on food.
- Unbranded products are usually (but not always) cheaper than branded products.
- Make sure you look on the top and bottom shelves where food is often cheaper.
- Sometimes there are leftover ingredients and it's a good idea to plan in advance what you are going to do with them so they aren't wasted.
- You can make three pizzas for £7.50.
- Tinned vegetables work out cheaper than fresh vegetables.
- Look out for special offers but make sure you check you are getting a good deal.
Win a £50 Sainsburys Voucher and try leaving your own children in charge of dinner
We are delighted that Newcastle Building Society have given us a £50 Sainsburys gift card to giveaway to one lucky reader. Good luck and if you win, please let me know if you let your own children plan and cook dinner. Enter using the Rafflecopter below.