********Click here for our guide to North East Christmas Markets in 2015*********
I love a Christmas market. There is something about the atmosphere, the roast chestnuts and mulled wine that really gets me in the festive spirit. I must admit, I rarely buy actual gifts from Christmas markets but we do buy decorations and lots of yummy foods to keep for over Christmas. Here is my guide to the best of the region's markets this year. Feel free to add your own in the comments.
Enjoying Mulled wine at a Christmas market last year
- 12th - 13th November - Wheelbirk's Christmas fayre
11am-9pm meaning this is perfect for some late night shopping. There will be mulled wine and nibbles too.
- 17th - 29th November - Newcastle Continental market
Held around Grey's monument this market has a real European feel - enjoy waffle's from Belgium, crepes from France and Paella from Spain.
Newcastle Continental market 2013
- 21st - 22nd November - Wallsend Christmas market
A festive market in Wallsend town centre featuring carol singing from local schools.
- 22nd November - Vallum Christmas market
Food and craft stalls, Santa's grotto, alpaca's, street food, wreath-making demo's, choir and mischief from the Vallum elf. Free entry.
- 27th - 30th November - Team Valley Christmas market
115 stalls, a craft tent, mulled wine and visits from Santa himself. You can also drop off Christmas gifts for Metro Radio's cash for kids charity.
- 29th - 30th November - Christmas market at The Alnwick Garden and Sparkle
There will be unique and eclectic delights from around the region all hand picked by the Alnwick garden team and between 3-6pm the gorgeous Grand Cascade will be illuminated in the evening sky in half hourly displays. There will be carolling and festive nibbles too.
- 29th - 30th November - Woodhorn Colliery
You'll find handcrafted jewellery, cards, decorations, crafts and more. There are free family events over the weekend too including The Search for Fire which is a free festive show filled with fire and ice.
- 2nd Decmber - 4th December - Cobalt Christmas market
A festive market selling festive goods and treats. There will be carol singing from local school's too.
Pick up Handmade gifts at Christmas market's - thanks Love Letter's for this pic.
- 4th - 7th December - Royal Quays Christmas market
The first Christmas market is being held at Royal Quays this year.
- 5th - 6th December - St Nicholas' Festival, Whitley Bay
Along with festive stalls expect a lantern parade, carol singing and entertainment.
- 5th - 7th December - Heighly Gate Christmas market
Santa will be in his grotto, reindeer will be outside and as well as stalls and a craft tent there will be children's rides too.
- 4th - 8th December - Newcastle Christmas market
Situated around Grey's monument you will find local beers, homemade jams, handmade chocolates and lovely gifts.
- 5th, 6th and 7th December - Festive Family Fun at Lightwater Valley
Stalls galore, an amazing UV show, Santa in his grotto, lots of festive performers, Christmas decorations and trees for sale and a selection of fairground rides including the carousel and eagle creek's farm will be open. Run wild in The Angry Birds zone and meet the birds of prey in the falconry centre. Fantastic value at only £2.50 per person (under 2's free)
- 5th - 7th December - Yule Celebrations at Bede's world
Always a popular event with 50+ stalls. Dogs on a lead are also welcome
Thanks Time and Tide events for this photograph from last year's celebrations at Bede's world
- 5th - 7th December - Durham Christmas Festival
Over 190 stalls surrounding the gorgeous Cathedral. Tickets are £2.50-£3.50. Along with stalls expect live reindeer, falconry, children's crafts and a lantern procession.
- 6th, 7th, 13th, 14th, 20th and 21st December - Christmas market at the Alnwick garden
There will be unique and eclectic delights from around the region all hand picked by the Alnwick garden team available to purchase and between 3-6pm the gorgeous Grand Cascade will be illuminated in the evening sky in half hourly displays. There will be carolling and festive nibbles too.
- 7th December - Berwick Christmas Market
Carol Singing, fun fair, children's activities, 40+ stalls and Santa too. In aid of The Berwick and District Cancer Support Group
- 12th - 14th December - Medieval Christmas at the Castle keep
Free entry with 50+ stalls in an amazing setting. Expect storytelling, poetry, entertainment and merchants selling their wares. There will be lots of dressing up and artisan products.
Thanks Time and Tide events for providing this pic of what to expect
- 13th - 14th December - North Shields Victorian Christmas market
I have a real soft spot for this market. Stall holders get dressed in Victorian clothes and there is a full programme of events from street theatre to Punch and Judy, Carol singing and fairground rides. We love the hog roast and roast chestnuts.
We always buy our wreath from North Shield's Christmas market - this one was £15
to find out about more Christmas events in our region.
Please add any other Christmas fayre's you know of in our comments section below and share with your friends. Happy shopping! xx